You can support the comic and unlock Secret Files, NSFW artwork and more on Patreon
I was tagged by FerenzaaNet
13 THINGS ABOUT ME
1. I can't juggle.
2. I nearly lost my leg in my previous career (before I studied art.) I was injured and gangrene set in. That was years ago - made a full recovery.
3. I'm a cat person but I still like dogs.
4. If I ever got to own a dog again, it'd be a German Shepherd or a Shiba Inu.
5. I read 3 - 5 books a week.
6. I was an art lecturer before I started working as a full-time freelance writer and artist.
7. Birdman, Anomalisa, The Company Of Wolves, The Duke Of Burgundy and Rocky 4 are some of my favourite movies. Yeah, I know Rocky's cheesy lol.
8. I've had two solo art exhibitions and participated in several local exhibitions.
9. Favourite writers include Neil Gaiman, Angela Carter, Margaret Atwood, William Gibson, David Gemmell, Kate Atkinson, Kazuo Ishiguro, Terry Pratchett, Yukio Mishima, John Connolly, Annie Proulx, A.S. Byatt and Clive Barker.
10. I can see the Moses Mabhida Stadium from where I live.
11. I still sometimes get asked for identification when I try to buy booze.
12. Favourite comic series and graphic novels include Sandman, Alan Moore's run on Swamp Thing, Bone, Dead Eyes Open, Fables, Y The Last Man, Arkham Asylum, The Invisibles, Maus and Rex.
13. I used to be a pretty serious martial artist back when I had the time and my health was better. Now I'm on the road to recovery, I'm considering going back.
Questions for me from my tagger:
1. Who is your favorite OC and please say why.
I love all my characters. But I have to say Jordan - we're both short people.
2. Where was the destination of your most enjoyable trip?
Salt Rock. More recently, the Makaranga Gardens - they have the largest private collection of Zimbabwean sculpture in SA.
3. Your best dining or food experience?
Actually, it was a recent experience in a little seafood restaurant. I'm not a gourmet - if the food is good and plentiful, the company pleasant and the drinks are cold, I'm happy.
4. Any pets living with you?
A very spoiled Maine Coon cat.
5. How old were you when you started creating your own content (not for a school assignment)?
Well, I started writing stories and poems at a very young age. Drew pictures like any kid but it wasn't until I was 10 or so that I started to put together crudely drawn comics.
6. Have you ever been caught by a parent / family member when doing NSFW drawings?
7. How long was your worst art block?
I tend to try and power through art blocks. I think everyone knows how that goes - you fall back on technique, create content but what you create doesn't feel as alive to you. I think my worst art block lasted about a year and a half. It was started after a couple of deaths in my family and circle of friends.
8. How did / do you break your art block?
I switched genres. Moved away from doing gritty to doing something lighter and more fantastical. And boom! my work started to live for me again. Thank you, Chasing Ice.
9. Name some artists / creators whose work inspired you.
Boris Vallejo, Frank Frazetta, Alex Ross, Frank Miller, Liam Sharp, Dave McKean, Mary Sibande, Tom Of Finland, Annie Leibovitz, Leonardo da Vinci and Van Gogh. I'll also admit to being obsessed with The Pre-Raphaelite Brotherhood in my teens, despite their sometimes problematic portrayal of womanhood.
10. What is your definition of success for your art / content creation?
How do I judge success for my content? If I've achieved something close to the ideal in my head.
I'm also trying to move away from the internet as the sole platform for my work (I fell into that trap over the last few years) and get back into publishing short stories and exhibiting again.
11. What are your favorite genres to work in?
Urban fantasy and horror. I admire people who work in noir and slice-of-life genres but I feel that my best work tends to come about when I stick to genres that allow me to create more fantastical stories.
12. What was your best liked job?
I enjoyed lecturing but nothing beats working for myself.
13. What was your worst job / boss?
Working in an animation studio with insane deadlines and insufficient resources. Although that wasn't as bad as working as a bodyguard and doing private security work about a decade or more ago. Most of the guys I know from back then are dead.
Questions for those I've tagged:
1. If you were a colour, what colour would you be? And why?
2. What was the fittest you've ever been?
3. If you could travel back in time, which famous historical figure would you like to meet?
4. What do you find most attractive in a person?
5. Favourite movies?
6. If you could pass one international law, what would it be?
7. What was your best day?
8. Do you believe in the supernatural?
9. Are you a cat person or a dog person? Or both?
10. Name some of the artists or writers who inspire you.
11. What's a worse form of punishment - physical pain or doing story sums?
12. What are some of your dream destinations?
13. Fantasy pet - what would be yours?
You are spared if you’ve already been tagged.
I'm a graphic designer and illustrator who has participated in numerous exhibitions and projects, both local and overseas and I've had three solo exhibitions.
My work is mostly digitally drawn/painted but occasionally blends photographic and 3D elements. It's the digital equivalent to mixed media.
You can read the Chasing Ice webcomic here
And you perverts can check out my other work here chasingice.tumblr.com/
My other DA account (which acts as my online portfolio) is lemonandjam.deviantart.com/
My Furaffinity account www.furaffinity.net/user/lemon…
Please don't ask me for points! When and if I donate points is my choice. If you bother me for points, I will block you.
Another thing - please don't post irrelevant link in the comments section or links back to your own works (unless it's fanfic or fanart of my comics.)